4/29/11

An Email I Just Sent to the Golf Channel

Dear Golf Channel,

I am 26 years old, have a 5 handicap, and live in Orlando, Florida. Needless to say, I've been an avid fan of your network since its inception back in the 90's. However, I've become disappointed with the apparent political bent of your programming, as evidenced by your featuring Rush Limbaugh on The Haney Project (no relation) and your continuing broadcast of Trump's Wonderful World of Golf. These two men, Limbaugh and Trump, have led the radical right in the recent defamation of our commander in chief, President Obama. And while I respect anyone's right to their own political opinion, too often have I felt chastised on the golf course for not sharing in my fellow golfers' excoriations of the president, and I must cringe when I turn on my favorite channel to find further promotions of these harmful and unfounded political agendas. Golf should not have a conservative or liberal bias; it should be open and welcoming to players from all walks of life, because the golf ball does not know or concern itself with a player's party affiliation. But too often, unfortunately, through exorbitant and exclusionary green fees and price tags on equipment, and a good-old-boy mentality, golf proves how much further it has to go to distinguish itself from the days when African Americans were allowed only in the caddy yard. Your network should pride itself in a neutral stance, uphold its integrity within the world of sports journalism, and stop catering to a radical right-wing agenda. And until you do so, you will have lost a viewer, fan, and advocate. Unless you do what is right by the integrity of the game, this proponent of the Golf Channel will have turned outspoken opponent.
Respectfully,
Paul Haney

1 comment:

  1. Well said,Paul. I turned away from Golf Channel last winter when I first saw the cherubic countenances of Limbaugh and Trump and haven't turned it on since. Can it be that the demise, real or imagined, of Tiger has taken some of the wind out of the sails of the non bigot group and caused the country club set to show their never-put-away colors? Signed Big Handicap in Alburgh VT

    ReplyDelete